April 17, 2018

9 Fine Things about cruising that float my boat


9 Fine Things about cruising that float my boat

I have only taken a few cruises.  Most recently, I boarded Holland America Line’s Nieuw Amsterdam in Fort Lauderdale and cruised through the Bahamas for four nights.  It was just right.  In fact, I think I’m ready now for a more traditional week-long cruise.

●You only have to unpack and repack once.

●If you pay a little more for a cabin with a bathtub and verandah, you can leave your door open to the lapping of the sea.
sunset view in the Bahamas from cabin verandah of Holland America Line’s Nieuw Amsterdam
sunset view in the Bahamas from cabin verandah of Holland America Line’s Nieuw Amsterdam

●A ship is like Disneyland for adults, pay one price and then play and dine until your dear heart is content.
soup service aboard Holland America Line’s Nieuw Amsterdam
soup service aboard Holland America Line’s Nieuw Amsterdam

eggs Benedict aboard Holland America Line’s Nieuw Amsterdam
eggs Benedict aboard Holland America Line’s Nieuw Amsterdam

●You can listen to interesting port lectures by experts, either in a theater or in the comfort of your cabin on closed-circuit TV.

●The up-to-date technology of cabin TVs allows checking the daily dining menus in your room.  And now many cruise lines provide complimentary use of their own app.  You can check on your account balance, the day’s special activities, the daily menus, and the ship map, and even make dinner reservations.

●I love a special dessert in one of the specialty coffee shops.  But the cappuccinos and lattes do cost additional.
dessert aboard Holland America Line’s Nieuw Amsterdam
dessert aboard Holland America Line’s Nieuw Amsterdam

●I also loved coming back to the room in the evening to find a sweet towel animal on my bed--or hanging on the curtain!
towel monkey in cabin aboard Holland America Line’s Nieuw Amsterdam
towel monkey in cabin aboard Holland America Line’s Nieuw Amsterdam

●There’s no need to go to the gym.  You can exercise by taking the steps instead of the elevators.  That means you don’t have to feel guilty about that special dessert in the coffee shop.

●Sometimes you can get a really good deal on a last-minute cruise.



More ideas for travel adventures in California and the U.S. and around the world.

images ©2018 Carole Terwilliger Meyers 

8 comments:

  1. I love the concept of cruising. And I agree - the unpacking once is the best start - as a single Mum this takes a load of stress from the next few days and really makes it a vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have only taken one cruise, but can see the draw it has on others. While there is food galore, we prefer quality over quantity, which can be more difficult while cruising. Thanks for sharing your 9 fine things about cruising.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once said I wasn't 'a cruise person' then I took a couple and have been hooked ever since. The longer, the better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a real cruise lover, too! I love sea days as much as I love excursions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went on a cruise last summer and just loved it. It takes all the hassle out of traveling from place to place, and we had room service breakfast most days. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so busy on my cruise that I forgot to ever order room service! Next time.

      Delete
  6. I have only done a couple of cruises, but I can appreciate the pluses of cruising that float your boat, particularly unpacking and packing once, and the food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'd need a few extra strolls around the deck after seeing all that great food. I agree that there are many reasons to enjoy a cruise. It's really great if you're going with a group too, there's something for everyone.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts